Skin Needling Melbourne
Skin needling refers to a minimally invasive procedure that involves puncturing of the skin with small needles present on a cylindrical roller or a pen-like device to induce growth of fresh collagen.
The needle penetration can be adjusted according to the area being treated, resulting in tiny puncture wounds that produce the following affects:
- Stimulate collagen production
- Improve pigmentation
- Increase the absorption of medicated creams or ointment, applied to the skin
Although skin needling is most commonly used for facial treatment, it can also be used on the hands, back and chest.
You may need a few treatments and the results of the skin needling may take a few months to become evident, depending on the desired effects and severity of the skin condition. The production of the new collagen may continue for up to a year after the procedure.
This technique helps in the management of several skin conditions such as:
- Acne scars
- Traumatic or surgical scars
- Striae or stretch marks
- Loose skin
The basic steps involved in the skin needling are as follows:
- Local anaesthetic creams or injections are administered on the intended area of treatment to reduce the discomfort
- The skin needling pen is applied, several times over the skin to produce numerous microscopic injuries to the skin
- Immediately after treatment the treated area is very red and grazed and may feel like a sunburn. It is easily covered with a specially formulated healing makeup that provides anti-bacterial and hydrating properties
Risks and complications
Skin needling is a safe procedure. All efforts are made by your doctor and his team to minimise any risk or complications associated with the procedure.
The possible risks associated with skin needling include:
- Redness and swelling of the skin, which may persist for a week
- Oozing of the skin, lasting for 24 hours after the procedure
- Infection (usually bacterial)
- Small white dots or milia may develop on the skin. If required these can be easily removed.
- Eruption of temporary acne